GRADE 6 - Lang & Lit Year 1 Summer Reading List
GRADE 7 - Lang & Lit Year 2 Summer Reading List
GRADE 8 - Lang & Lit Year 3 Summer Reading List
As you complete your reading, consider using the following prompts to keep your analytical skills sharp.
Reader Response Prompts for Fiction
- Explain a character's problem and then offer your character advice on how to solve his/her problem.
- Pick one character and explain why you would/would not like to have him/her as a friend.
- Describe and explain why you would/would not like to have lived in the time or place of the story.
- Write about what would happen if you brought one of your characters to school or home for a day.
- Write a different ending to the story.
- Write a prequel or sequel to the story.
- Create the casting list of people to star in the movie version of the show and explain your choices.
- Turn the story into a poem or children’s book.
- Compare a problem the main character faces with one that you face.
- Create an advertisement for the book.
Reader Response Prompts for Nonfiction
- Copy a short passage that you found to be interesting. Explain what made it interesting for you.
- Write a summary of the book.
- Explain some of the things that you have learned so far that you are not likely to forget in the near future.
- How could the information be used to write a fictional story?
- Write a newspaper article about the information (who, what, where, when, why, how)